Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Baby Turns 1!


A year old already?! I can't believe it. We hosted Simon's first birthday party at my Mom's house this past weekend. It was a small party, I just invited 3 of my friends, but with all of the kids we had 9 kids under the age of 5. That's a lot of kids :)


The theme for Simon's party was under the sea. Not everything turned out quite how I imagined- but Simon and his guests had a great time anyway! I used my cricut to cut out the banner and sea shapes. Luckily for me I have a friend who has every cricut cartridge that you could ever need, so I was able to borrow this sea themed one from her.


Inspired by the fish bowl gelatin that Martha made, I wanted to try to make it for Simon's party. However, I thought that it would be easier to just use blue jello. Um no- there's a reason Martha didn't suggest just using blue jello- you can hardly see the fish.


The cake wasn't quite what I had envisioned either. It was cute- but as it turns out I'm not so much a cake decorator, which lead to a few problems when I was trying to finish off the cake.


 I made each layer a different shade of blue/green for the under the sea theme.

I used this recipe to make my own goldfish starfish cheese crackers.

 We also made some fruit kabobs with some kiwi starfish. (As my sister was cutting out the stars from the kiwis she said "Uh Lila, you can add kiwi to the list of foods that cookie cutters aren't meant to cut.") But they looked great!


 I made apple carrot muffins which the kids loved- Simon especially.


When I saw these ruffled streamers on pinterest I knew that I wanted to make them for Simon's party. In fact, I'm already trying to think of more events that I can make ruffled streamers for.



 Claire loves twirling in her party skirt.


 Simon enjoying a piece of birthday cake- his first treat. (He did enjoy it, he was just a bit tired by the end of the party.)


22 comments:

  1. What a cute party! I think the cake looks great! Happy birthday to your little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute,cute, cute! Happy 1st birthday Simon!

    www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have everybody know that the crackers and muffins were absolutely delicious...the cake obviously, too but I've never had these kinds of crackers home-made. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to Simon! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything you did. The colours in the cake are absolutely gorgeous. I just read your email, but I have to run to work right now. I'll respond when I get home. Have a great day Lila!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so, so sweet. The details are just wonderful. Trying to decide what I like best... the whales on the cake? The ruffled garland? or the starfish crackers, too close to call. You are one talented momma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just adorable! I think the cake looks awesome, and the colored layers are especially pretty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet. I love the blue cake. All the details are just perfect. Lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful party! I love all the special details - the blue layer cake is just gorgeous sliced!! Thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What sweet details! The whale pennants are darling. I love how the cake looks like a paint chip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful party. I especially loved the cake. What a surprise to see all the pretty colors inside. Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I will have to share this with my friend who was asking me about under the sea themed parties- thanks!! I am visiting from Tatertots and Jello and I would LOVE if you could link up your awesome post to my very first crafty linky party! This is the first week of Delicately Constructed Fridays and I would really appreciate the link!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, this is a great party, so much attention to detail. I found your blog through a google search for rainbow parties - we just had one for my daughter and I wanted to see how others did it too. I had to stay and have a little look around the rest of your blog too. Well, nice to 'meet' you Jane:) - do you have an email contact?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a wonderful party!!! just popping in from TT&J :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks like everything turned out wonderful! love the little whale bunting and the colors inside are awesome!!!! great job with all the fun details!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the cake! The whales are adorable!
    I am having a giveaway on my blog. $30 store credit to get a cape from Pip and Bean.Check it out!
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/05/30-store-credit-free-shipping-to-get.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another successful party! Love the little whale pennants on top of the cake. Pretty cute! =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the cake! Such pretty colors for the layers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy bday wishes to your little sweetheart! All od your handmade and sweet party details are darling, of course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey girl! I just passed the Versatile Blogger award on to you. Congrats! Visit my blog for details.

    www.thisfarmfamilyslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this party idea! So cute! And the cake looks amazing!
    I am your newest follower . . . and I would love to have you follow me back!
    Thanks!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! Blue and any variety of it is my favorite color. I love the color of your cake. How did you create it? Lovely cake bunting as well.
    www.shopbonnenouvelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an adorable first birthday party! You did a great job on all of it! Your kids are super cute too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...